Friday, January 9, 2009

Almond Glazed Sugar Cookies

Wow it's already Friday? Time has flown by! The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo events are starting to pop up now that it's getting closer and closer. This will be my 5th year to serve on the Communications and Special Service Committee. Last year I got moved up to photographer and so now my only job function is to take pictures of the events and then during the rodeo I take pictures of the calf scramble kids who catch a calf with the money donors. It's been a blast and to see and talk to all the kids, it's the best thing. My brother in law is on the Steer Auction Committee and we have a Hide Party tonight where we pick up the hide from the steer we bought last year and eat a fancy dinner. Each year our family goes in together to buy a steer and it's been a lot of fun. I'll share more pictures on Monday.


Now on to another cookie. I'm lacking the process of making them pictures because I was too excited to use my new photo studio so I hurried along with putting them together. They are pretty tasty and almost seemed to come out like a lace cookie and seemed very fragile.

Almond Glazed Sugar Cookies
(Adapted from Land O Lakes)


Cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
2 to 3 teaspoons water
sliced almonds

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In large mixer bowl, combine butter, sugar and almond extract. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes). Reduce speed to low; add all remaining cookie ingredients. Beat until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).

Roll dough into 1 inch balls; place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Flatten balls to 1/4 inch with bottom of a buttered glass dipped in sugar. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheets; cool completely.

In small bowl, with wire wisk, stir together all glaze ingredients. Decorate cooled cookies with glaze and sliced almonds.




4 comments:

  1. Allie, I've never heard of a 'hide party' but any event that brings a family together is great. I love your photo of the cookies. I'll have 3 on the treadmill. A gal needs her energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, your cookies look so good. Your pictures are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so pretty! I bet they taste as good as they look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love almond everything! These cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete