Monday, October 12, 2009

Lamb Lollipops

Another Sunday Steak Night twist. We tried cooking lamb for the first time. I'm always interested in trying to cook new things and branch out, it's part of the inspiration I get when walking in the grocery store and watching cooking shows. As usual I print recipes when I see stuff on tv and this one comes from Martha Stewart's show. I cut the recipe down because the cost of lamb is not as cheap as I thought and I didn't want to make a ton of it when I didn't know how it taste. I opted for the rack and cut them apart myself then Frenched them. Cost difference was $9.99 a pound doing it myself or $12.99 a pound already done. The smallest pack I could find was 2.61 pounds so $26.07 this better work out. I didn't tell my husband the cost until after he ate and said how good it was we should make it again and wished I made more instead of a small amount, which he then said we'll just do it for a special occasion.

All I kept thinking when I was cutting them was the show Hell's Kitchen where chef Gordon Ramsay yells at the chefs for how they aren't even pieces and they are falling apart. Thankfully mine didn't and they looked nice. My pictures are a little sloppy looking, but I was in a hurry and hubby was starving. Wasn't too crazy about the potatoes they where a little bland, but the meat was really good.

Lamb Lollipops with Green Goddess Mint Dipping Sauce and Roasted Potatoes
(Adapted from Dan Aykroyd via Martha Stewart )

1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh peeled ginger
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for pan
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
24 lamb chops, frenched and completely trimmed
3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, quartered
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
Green Goddess Mint Dipping Pots

In a medium bowl, whisk together garlic, ginger, soy sauce, 1/4 cup oil, and pepper. Place lamb chops in a large shallow baking dish and pour over garlic mixture. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Oil a large rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to prepared baking dish. Add rosemary and drizzle with remaining olive oil.

Transfer to oven and roast 15 to 20 minutes. Turn potatoes by shaking sheet and continue roasting, 15 to 20 minutes more, until golden brown.

Meanwhile, preheat grill or a grill pan over medium high heat. Remove lamb chops from marinade, wiping off any excess and place on grill. Season with salt and pepper, and grill, rotating lamb chops 1/2 turn after 1 minute, and continue grilling until cross-hatch marks form, about 1 minute more. Turn lamb chops and repeat process on opposite side. Transfer chops to a warm plate and let stand 3 to 5 minutes before serving with dipping sauce.

3 comments:

  1. I adore lamb, Allie. The only good part of having an empty nest is that we can have it whenever we want. Lamb is not served often when there are ravenous teens in the house. Your recipe sounds wonderful. If it helps any, the lollipops are no more expensive than hamburgers served in a good restaurant. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've never had lamb until a couple of months ago. On a whim, I bought some when in New Orleans and we liked it.

    I guess I don't know what I was expecting it to taste like. It was good and your's looks great.

    Ramona

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lamb lollipops! These look excellent!

    ReplyDelete