Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Spiced Panko Chicken with Tropical Rum Dip

It can't be the end of the year already! Oh my, I haven't figured out what my new year resolution is gonna be. Last year I decided to grow my hair out for Locks Of Love. I'm shy an inch so gonna have to stretch into the this coming year. See I'm almost there:

I haven't had my hair this long since I grew it out for my wedding 6 and 1/2 years ago. I usually like to keep it shoulder length. My only rule is I have to be able to pull it back in a pony tail. I'll show you pictures after I finally get it cut. I guess I'll have to share my resolution on my next post so I have some time to think about it.

Well, speaking of New Years, I have an appetizer I tried out that I think I'm gonna bring to the block party. Theses little chickens are easy to make and prep ahead of time then pop in the oven when you're ready. The thing I like is they stay pretty crispy so it'll last a while without getting soggy.

Spiced Panko Chicken with Tropical Rum Dip
(Adapted from Practical Gourmet Small Plates For Sharing)

1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
3/4 pound chicken tenders, cut in half
1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
1/2 teaspoon paprika
cooking spray
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons coconut rum
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I left this out there was plenty of mustard flavor from chicken)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a large resealable freezer bag. Add chicken and marinate in refrigerator for 4 hours. Drain, discarding marinade.

Combine panko crumbs and paprika. Press chicken into panko mixture until coated. Arrange on a greased wire rack set in a baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for about 15 minutes until crisp and no longer pink inside.

Combine juice and brown sugar in a saucepan. Boil gently on medium for about 25 minutes until thickened to a syrup consistency. (Mine took longer then this.)

Stir in rum and mustard. Serve with chicken.

2 comments:

  1. That's so nice of you to do Locks of Love. My hair is long, but I don't get it cut. I hate the way I look with short hair.

    Your recipe sounds like it's going to be a big hit at the block party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like delicious crunchy chiken with a delicious dipping sauce!

    ReplyDelete