Saturday, January 2, 2010

Festive Rum Balls and Red White and Green Jello

Happy New Year! I thought I would share a couple quick desserts from my visit with my parents over the holidays.

For as long as I can remember my family has always had at least 6 desserts to pick from at Christmas time. There's pies, cakes, cookies and candy, but the thing we always had was red white and green jello. It makes guest think really hard what makes the white layer and how do you get all the colors to layer without mixing together. I'm sure most of you who cook know the answer, but if you don't I have instructions so don't worry.

First up is a tasty candy for the adults.

Rum Balls

3 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 8 ounces)
1 cup confectioner's sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup rum or whiskey

Combine crushed wafers and next 3 ingredients. Mix in pecans, corn syrup and rum blending well. Mixture will be stiff. Dust hands with sugar and shape into small round balls. Let stand uncovered 1 hour. Roll in confectioner's sugar and store in tightly covered container 3 days before serving for best flavor. Makes about 5 dozen.

Of course for the jello you can make red white and blue or any color combo you want so keep this recipe handy and try out different flavors. If you have an adult cocktail party try making jello shots with red and green layers, they're always a hit at our parties.


Red White and Green Christmas Jello

1st layer - 1 package lime jello, mix according to directions. Pour into a 9"x9" dish. Chill until set.

2nd layer - 3 ounces cream cheese, box of lemon jello dissolved in 1 cup hot water then add only 1/2 cup cold water. Cool a little before layering on green.

3rd layer - 1 package cherry jello, mix according to directions. Pour over white jello.

2 comments:

  1. They both look good. I have loads of sugar free jello in the pantry. Need to get off sugar again, so I might try your jello dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the same rum ball recipe but with bourbon. they're delicious and were a big hit!

    ReplyDelete