Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Eggs Benedict with Easy Hollandaise and Winner Announced

First off congrats to our winner of the Yoplait Greek "Nourish Your Inner Goddess" contest......Christen!!! If you would please email me at crazystar32@gmail.com so I can get some info from you and get your prize out right away. Thank you to everyone who entered and everyone who follows my blog!!

So yesterday didn't turn out according what what all I had planned to do. I was supposed to go to the Daniel Merriweather meet and greet and ended up going to the vet instead. My poor baby got a shot and is now on pills twice a day after suffering from allergies like me. I love Spring time, but not so much for the pollen. I keep Benadryl in all the cars and purse and anywhere I can stash them it's that bad. Today I have a lot of planting to do to replace all the dead plants from the light snow we had over the winter.

Well on to the food. Today's recipe is more for the Hollandaise Sauce then the whole meal, but I posted everything in case you need it. I'm usually scared of Hollandaise because it seems like a complicated sauce, but after doing this it's painless.

Eggs Benedict with Easy Hollandaise
(Adapted by Martha Stewart)

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
8 slices Canadian bacon
2 English muffins, split and toasted
4 large eggs
Easy Hollandaise (recipe below)

1.Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add Canadian bacon, and cook until well browned on both sides. Divide bacon among the English-muffin halves.

2.Fill a large deep saucepan with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. When water is barely simmering, break one egg into a small heatproof bowl. Placing lip of bowl in the water, gently tip the bowl to slide egg carefully into pan. Use a small spoon to "fold" the edges of the white over the egg, for a neater edge. Repeat with remaining eggs. Cook until whites are just set but yolks are still soft (they should still move around inside), 2 to 3 minutes. Lift out eggs with a slotted spoon or small mesh sieve; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Trim edges of whites with a knife, if desired.

3.Gently place the egg on a bacon-topped muffin, and spoon the reserved warm hollandaise sauce over the top; serve immediately.


Hollandaise

2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon warm water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

1.In a blender, combine egg yolks, water, lemon juice, and salt; blend until frothy.


2.Heat butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan over medium until bubbly (do not let brown). With blender running, pour in hot butter in a very thin stream, blending until sauce is thick and emulsified.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe. We just had Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise sauce for the 1st time about a month ago.

    My brother who is the lead cook on a off shore diving ship made it for us. His sauce was more complicated to make over the water bath. The 1st time we both had poached eggs too. Now I find myself making them all the time.

    Thanks again for the easy sauce recipe. I think I can whoop this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my fave breakfast ever! yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Eggs Benedict but never make it because of the sauce which in my opinion is the best part. I'm anxious to try your recipe so maybe we can start having it more than once every 5 years! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited about my prize :)

    ReplyDelete