Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Squash Ravioli with Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce

So my big news is after 10 days of traveling and 3,027 pictures later, I'm back from vacation after an amazing 7 day cruise of the Mediterranean! I have so much to share, so I'm gonna give the new tab option on blogger a try by starting a new tab dedicated to all the details of our trips and reviews of hotels and restaurants we try in the future that way I can keep my recipes separate for those of you who don't care to read about all the traveling. I hope to have all my pictures sorted and ready to share in the coming weeks with all the details of things we did and saw.

Today's recipe uses my new present. My hubby came home from work with these cute little squashes from a co-worker and says "here make something with these". Well, I'm on a pasta kick now so I made ravioli. I kind of made it up as I went along using all the ingredients I could scoop out of the pantry and fridge. You don't have to make the garlic cream sauce if you don't want to you could use a simple tomato or marinara sauce.

Basic Egg Pasta
(Adapted from Pasta Attachment Instruction booklet)

4 large eggs
1 tablespoon water
3 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place egg, water, flour and salt in mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater. Turn to speed 2 and mix 30 seconds.

Exchange flat beater for dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and knead 2 minutes. Remove dough from bowl and hand knead for 1 to 2 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rest for 15 minutes. Divide dough into 4 pieces before processing with Pasta Sheet Roller Attachment.

Roasted Garlic Cream Sauce

1 large head of garlic, roasted and mashed
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, over medium heat, heat butter until hot. Stir in flour, cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in cream, roasted garlic, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling; boil and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Serve hot over cooked ravioli.


Squash Ravioli Filling

2 cups squash, diced small
15 ounces ricotta cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan
1/4 cup Mozzarella
2 tablespoons parsley
1 tablespoon thyme
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning

Saute squash until cooked through, but not mushy.

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.

Place rolled pasta sheets out on a floured counter and place a heaping tablespoon of the squash mixture on the center of the sheet, leaving enough room to seal the edges.

Brush the edges with water and top with another sheet of pasta, pressing the edges together with your fingers.

Carefully place ravioli in a large pot of salted boiling water. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until ravioli are puffed. Use a slotted spoon to remove from the water and transfer to serving platter. Top with sauce and garnish with parsley.

2 comments:

  1. It all looks good. Sounds like ya'll had a great vacation. Bet you found a lot of fantastic food to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely vacation!!! My cousin who just got married is on his honeymoon on a Med cruise right now. You two are giving me wander lust!

    ReplyDelete