Monday, August 23, 2010

Cauliflower Puree

Many of you know we know we have our weekly steak night on Sunday's so I wanted to try something I've had my eye on for a while. Every time I watch Top Chef someone is making a puree of some sort. I've seen it in restaurants and always wondered how easy it is to make since everyone is doing it. Well this week I took the plunge and gave it a try. I thought it was delish, my hubby said it was so so. All I would recommend is a sprinkle of Tony's on top to give it some more flavor. It's a great sub for mashed potatoes and it's good for you so give it a try, oh did I mention.....it's super easy to make! I made this as well as a request from the hubby for Mac and Cheese. It bothers me that the colors don't all balance out and there's a lot of white on the plate, but oh well it tasted so good!! We also grilled up a few shrimp I set aside from another dish I'll be posting next week so it was the perfect Sunday surf and turf meal!

Thanks for helping vote and keep my dad in the running for Whataburger's contest! Keep it up daily until August 30th. Also don't forget about the current giveaway going on right now. Click the Giveaways tab at the top for details!

Cauliflower Puree

Printer Friendly Version

1 head cauliflower, stem and tough stalks trimmed, florets roughly chopped
1 cup chicken stock
2 to 3 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine cauliflower and chicken stock in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.

Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer cauliflower to the bowl of a food processor.
Process until smooth, adding 2-3 tablespoons cooking liquid. Add sour cream and butter, process until blended. Season with salt and pepper, server hot.

As a garnish I just tossed a couple of the slices in olive oil and pan fried them until they had a nice golden color and where tender.

2 comments:

  1. I've used califlower in place of potatoes before. I liked it.

    Looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! food looks soooo good!
    Hey I am Andrea..First off,great page! saw your post on giveaway blogs! I just started my own blog and have no followers yet! trying 2 get the ball rolling! so looking 2 meet some other people that blog on here 2 exchange tips and ideas( and maybe get a lil help along the way getting my blog running, since I am new to all this~ I just followed you as well..heres my link
    http://dreasblog8685.blogspot.com/
    Theres not much on the page yet~ but just started it last night~ any feedback/help would be great..maybe some pointers on what a good place 2 start would be ~ Thanks so much..look forward 2 chatting with You!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete