Friday, May 20, 2011

Maple Buttermilk Pie

IMG_4519

I don’t make a lot of pies and I really should they are easy, but they never come out as pretty as when my mom makes them. I can’t remember the last time I had a buttermilk pie, it’s such a simple pie, but I really like them. If you have a good recipe for one I would love it if you passed it over my way. This recipe was HORRIBLE. Maybe I did something wrong I don’t know. I tried so hard to eat a slice and ended up dumping the whole thing.  :(

Maple Buttermilk Pie
(Adapted from Gourmet April 2002)

Printer Friendly Version

1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
2/3 cup Grade B maple syrup
6 large egg yolks
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons maple sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325°F. Put pie shell (in pie plate) in a shallow baking pan.

IMG_4428

Whisk together remaining ingredients in a bowl until just combined and pour three fourths of custard into shell.

IMG_4501IMG_4502

Carefully put pan in middle of oven and pour in remaining custard with a cup.

IMG_4503

Bake until just set in center, about 55 minutes, then transfer pie to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.

IMG_4506

Cooks' note: Pie can be made 4 to 6 hours ahead and kept at room temperature.

IMG_4520IMG_4521

1 comment:

  1. Sorry it turned out so bad. Your label did make me laugh though....food flops. Been there, done that.

    ReplyDelete