Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Peanut Brittle

IMG_7205

By no means am I a candy maker by a long shot! I make marshmallows really good, but other than that and fudge I don’t really mess with candy. I don’t know why, maybe because it’s so easy to mess up if it goes one degree over a certain temperature or depends on the weather. Whatever the reason I try to stay clear of it. This year I was determined to make this peanut brittle. Every year a friend of ours would make this and hers is the best I’ve ever had. This is her recipe and I have to say I’m proud of myself for doing an ok job at it. The first batch I made I left the peanuts in there too long the color was amazing, but the peanuts had a burnt after taste in the candy. The second batch came out perfect except the color wasn’t as caramelized and it firmed up faster then I could spread so it was over an inch thick, of course I’m sure stopping to take a picture of each step didn’t help any. Oh well, it’s made with love and did taste close to my friends so I’ll mark it as a success in candy making this year haha!

Peanut Brittle
(Adapted from Pat Green)

Printer Friendly Version

½ cup boiling water
2 cups sugar
pinch of salt
1 cup light Karo
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound butter
2 teaspoons baking soda

Cook water, sugar, salt and syrup until it cracks in cold water.

IMG_7009

Add butter and peanuts.

IMG_7011IMG_7013

Cook until golden brown. Turn off fire and then sprinkle the baking soda over the mixture.

IMG_7015IMG_7016

Stir on High and let it foam up quite a bit. Pour on buttered cookie sheet.

IMG_7018IMG_7206

2 comments:

  1. This is one candy I've never had any success making.

    I luv it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete