Monday, March 19, 2012

Chicken Casablanca

IMG_9684

Instead of the usual casseroles I do for hubby’s lunches I thought I would do a Crock Pot meal to change it up. I honestly really liked this dish. It needs a sprinkle more of seasoning like Tony’s or Mrs. Dash, but it’s really good and hardy. At the end of this post you’ll see how tender the chicken was and I ended up shredding it with a spoon to make it more of a chili style so it was easier for him to reheat and eat. I also had a little extra chicken in there because I had a hard time finding a package close to the size I needed and didn’t want an extra chicken breast leftover. I will be making this again it’s really good.

Chicken Casablanca
(Adapted from www.crockpot.com)

Printer Friendly Version

1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 large carrots, diced
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium zucchini, sliced 1 inch thick
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (14.5 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (I used fire-roasted)
2 tablespoons parsley
1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped

Combine the first eight ingredients in a 5-7 quart crock-pot slow cooker.

IMG_9650IMG_9652

In a small bowl, combine the spices and sprinkle them over the food in the stoneware.

IMG_9653IMG_9655

Add the chopped tomatoes.

IMG_9656

Cover; cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours. Stir in parsley and cilantro before serving.

IMG_9658IMG_9676IMG_9679IMG_9688

The chicken was soooo tender it really just shredded itself. I also cut the crockpot off at 7 hours instead of 8 because it wall all cooked. This might vary depending on the thickness of your chicken and how big you slice the vegetables. I combined it all and served it more like a chili style, but you could serve it either way.

IMG_9690

1 comment: