Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Lasagna Soup

IMG_5983

I love Pinterest and I have so many pins I’ve been trying to dwindle down and actually start trying a lot of the recipes I pin. I figure you couldn’t go wrong with a Paula Deen recipe, but I did. This looked good and smelled good up until the noodles where cooking and soaked up every drop of liquid. I was left with a sticky noodle mess. Hubby didn’t care for it at all and I forced it down for a couple lunches before tossing it. I think my problem was adding too many noodles, I just used the whole box instead of measuring out 2 cups. I may give it another try, but as of now it’s a flop for me.

Lasagna Soup
(Adapted from Paula Deen)

Printer Friendly Version

1 lb ground chuck
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth
2 (14.5 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cup broken lasagna noodles
1 (5 ounce) package grated parmesan cheese
2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
garlic crostini, recipe follows

Garlic Crostini:
1 thin French baguette
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves smashed garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large Dutch oven, combine ground chuck, onion, bell pepper and garlic.

IMG_5950

Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well.

IMG_5952

Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

IMG_5955IMG_5957

Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender.

IMG_5964IMG_5966

Stir in Parmesan cheese.

IMG_5969IMG_5970

Preheat broiler. Ladle soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls. Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Add a garlic crostini slice on top. Serve immediately.

For the garlic crostini:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut bread into 1/4-inch round slices. Place on baking sheet and brush each slice with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; place in oven and bake until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Rub each side with smashed garlic cloves.

IMG_5976

1 comment: