Monday, January 6, 2014

Bacon and Blue Cheese Wedge Salad

IMG_0204 (800x533)

I never thought I would say I love blue cheese. I remember growing up that my mom loved it and the more stinky it was the better. It used to make me gag! I read somewhere your taste change every 7 years and maybe because I’m a little more adventurous now a days in giving things a second chance I a huge fan of blue cheese now. One of my favorite salads to order is either a Caesar or a Wedge.  My favorite wedge salad is at Fleming’s Steakhouse and I was lucky enough to find a recipe online that taste pretty much right on. I love being able to make dressings at home, I’m not a fan of any of the blue cheese dressings in a bottle. You won’t be disappointed in this recipe I promise you!

Bacon and Blue Cheese Wedge Salad

(Adapted from Back Fat and Foie Gras)

Serves 4

 

Printer Friendly Version

 

One head of iceberg lettuce

Blue cheese dressing (see recipe below) one medium-sized tomato, seeded and diced

4 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

1/2 cup blue cheese, for garnish

Freshly ground black pepper

One tablespoon minced chives, optional.

 

Cut lettuce in 8 wedges and plate two wedges on each plate.

 

IMG_0201 (800x533) 

 

Drizzle each wedge with blue cheese. Then sprinkle with tomato, bacon bits and blue cheese. Season generously with black pepper and garnish with fresh chives. Serve any additional dressing on the side.

 IMG_0209 (800x533)

Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing

Makes about 4-6 servings

 

½ cup mayonnaise

½ cup buttermilk*

One heaping tablespoon sour cream

1 cup crumbled blue cheese

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, or to taste

1 small clove garlic, minced

Coarse black pepper, to taste

 

In a medium-sized bowl, mix together mayo, buttermilk and sour cream. Add rest of ingredients and mix well, incorporating the blue cheese, but leaving a few chunks as well. Season generously with black pepper, cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Note: this dressing is excellent served with Buffalo wings and celery.

 

*If dressing is too thick, simply add a little buttermilk until you achieve your desired consistency. Add less buttermilk if you want a chunkier-type dip.

IMG_0200 (800x533)

No comments:

Post a Comment