Monday, June 6, 2016

Cheese Broccoli Soup

IMG_6564 (800x533)

Today is my birthday….I don’t have a cake post or anything like that, I do have a recipe I made recently from my mom that I tweaked a little. One of my favorite soups is Jason’s Deli Broccoli Soup. I have to say this one comes the closest too it and that makes me happy.

I’m not doing anything special today except preparing for our first weekend get away from our son. I’ve never been away from him overnight and I’m actually not nervous at all. I’m so lucky to have my parents who I can fully trust to watch over him. I’ve learned a lot this past year and one thing is there’s not many people I can trust anymore, be it family or friends not everyone cares about you like they say they do.

Anyway, I really really can’t wait to make this again. I know it’s summer, but sometimes I just love a good comfort food.

Cheese Broccoli Soup

(Created by Finding Inspiration in Food)

 

Printer Friendly Version

 

6 tablespoons butter

6 tablespoons chopped onion

4 tablespoons cornstarch

4 tablespoons flour

1 quart milk

1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed

1/2 cup grated carrot

1/2 cup celery, chopped, if desired

1 quart chicken broth

24 ounces chopped broccoli

Salt and white pepper to taste

Added seasoning if desired - red pepper flakes, Mrs. Dash, paprika

 

Sauté onion in butter, add cornstarch, flour and seasonings.

 

IMG_6553 (800x533)IMG_6555 (800x533)

 

Add milk slowly and stir until thick.

 

IMG_6556 (800x533)IMG_6559 (800x533)

 

Add cheese until melted then set mixture aside.

 

 IMG_6561 (800x533)

 

Boil carrots and celery together in chicken broth until vegetables are tender. Add broccoli and cook until done.

 

IMG_6558 (800x533)


Combine 2 mixtures, making sure both are hot or both are cold. Cook until heated thoroughly.

IMG_6562 (800x533)IMG_6565 (800x533)

No comments:

Post a Comment