Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sausage and Pecan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms


I know I know I don't eat mushrooms and again I'm posting about them. Well my husband loves them so as a treat I like to make them for him every once in a while. These don't take long so it's an added bonus.

Sausage and Pecan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms

4 large portobello mushrooms
1 stick butter
2 cups sausage
1 ¾ cups seasoned bread crumbs
¼ cup Parmesan and Pecorino Romano, mixed
1 cup heavy cream
4 to 6 Monterey Jack slices
½ cup chopped pecans

Cream Sauce:
1 cup heavy cream
½ stick butter
1 tablespoon corn starch
Cajun spice to taste

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Using a tablespoon, clean out the gills of Portobello mushrooms, leaving only the caps. Chop up the stems and place aside to be later added to the stuffing. Add the butter, and stir gently with a wooden spoon. Let butter mixture cook for about 2 to 5 minutes or until it begins to steam. Add browned sausage and let simmer about 5 minutes. Stir in bread crumbs, pecans, mushroom steams, Parmesan and Pecorino Romano until thick. Add heavy cream and mix well. Spoon stuffing into mushroom caps and cover with a slice of Monterey Jack. Place on baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Cream Sauce: Melt the butter in a saucepan. Pour enough cream into small bowl to dissolve corn starch and add rest of cream to butter. Heat mixture until it simmers. Stir until sauce thickens and add Cajun spice to taste.

1 comment:

  1. I love mushrooms and these look delicious! I have an award for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete