Monday, December 16, 2013

Cowboy Candy

IMG_0604 (800x533)

One thing you can find in some Southern restaurants is cowboy candy served in place of bread as you wait on your food. I love this stuff. I was lucky enough to have a friend bring over 4 pounds of home grown jalapenos so I found a recipe and gave it a try. I wasn’t sure how I felt about the onions in there, but I have to say I really liked it. You can use this stuff of anything, but my favorite is served with a cracker over cream cheese.

Sadly I should have kept these to myself, but I shared a few in my baskets this year. If you are interested in a tag for them you can download the one I made HERE.

Cowboy Candy

(Adapted from The Baby Granny Chronicles)

Printer Friendly Version

 

4 lbs jalapeno peppers

2 lbs. onions, sliced thin

3 cups cider vinegar

5 cups sugar

1 tsp. ginger

1 tablespoon minced garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)

2 tablespoons mustard seed

1/2 tsp. celery seed

1-2 tsp. turmeric (depends upon how much you like it)

 

Wash and slice jalapenos. Remove seeds from some rings to remove some of the “heat”.

 

IMG_9890 

 

In a large pan, bring vinegar, sugar and spices to a boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

 

IMG_9892 IMG_9894

 

Add jalapenos and onions. Bring to a boil and boil for 4 minutes.

 

IMG_9896 IMG_9902

 

Using slotted spoon, spoon onions and peppers into hot, sterilized jars.

 

IMG_9900IMG_9907 

 

Pour hot liquid over the onions and peppers. Leave 1/4 – 1/2 inch head room in jars.

 

 IMG_9908

 

Put on sterilized lids and bands. Tighten with slightly. Process in boiling water for at least 5 minutes. Remove from water. Listen for lids to “pop.” Tighten down lids.

IMG_0603 (800x533)IMG_0607 (800x533)

No comments:

Post a Comment